Tuesday, February 2, 2010

...well kind of

I'm disappointed with the use of the Dewey Decimal System at the Peter White Library. There, I said it. I was going to try to be nice but it's out now.

My roommate and I decided that on Tuesday's we're going to come to the library to work on homework after class otherwise we end up watching Bones all day and don't get anything done. Which worked out really well with my blog idea. Or so I thought. My idea, or the idea I had help with, was to have someone pick a random number for me, get that book that matches that number within the system no matter what it is, and read as much of it as I could in a week. So with my number -- 222.22 -- I set out in the library to find it.

My understanding of the Dewey Decimal System was that it included all books, even works of fiction. Which is not the case in Peter White. So I did what all unsure people so, and Googled. And found the Wikipedia site that explained it. The literature books should be within the 800 range, which they arenn't. Instead, fiction is labled fiction on all the books and is in alphabetical order, mystery is another section, and so on. Reference and nonfiction are the two places I've found to be numbered. I haven't checked books on tape yet.

So, my random number guesses, supplied always by my roommate, will be limited to the ninfiction section. And based on the book for this week, within the nonfiction section the base idea for which books are which seems to be right. 200 is the religion section and the .20 section is the Old Testament.

This week's book is "The Ten Commandments for Today" by Robert I. Kahn. More on this later because my computer is about to die.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! I thought it included fiction as well. Well, good luck and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does not include fiction at any library. I worked at one in high school. Sorry about the disappointment. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's lame but thanks for letting me know Amy

    ReplyDelete