Monday, February 8, 2010

Excuses

All of my dishes are done. My laundry is folded. My roommates laundry is folded. There are four more loads currently being done. The blankets in the living room are folded and the pillows organized. The grocery list is formally written out on a piece of paper. I'd sweep but we don't have a broom anymore and we never had a vacuum so I can't do that. Plus, we just moved into this place on Friday so I know it's clean. I'm finally out of legitimate, or not, reasons to keep putting of my book.

For some reason, I can't seem to bring myself to read a book about why I should live my life according to the Ten Commandments. My parents were both raised Catholic so I was baptized as a baby for their personal beliefs. Until I was about 10 we went to a Christian church so I was raised knowing all of the stories and ideas that came along with the Bible. We stopped going because my parents decided it would be better for us to make our own choices about what we wanted to believe or not believe. I myself have settled on agnostic and I'm not sure where my sisters fall along the line but I think they're both somewhere around me.

I don't have a problem with people believing what they want, as long as they don't try to impress their ideals upon me. In some ways, I find different beliefs to be very interesting. But at the same time, I've neevr really understood why someone would want to live their life based around a book that may or may not have been written with divine ideas from an all powerful, omniscient god. It just seems illogical to me, in the same way I'm sure it seems illogical to them for me to not believe. I've taken religious based classes on campus to learn more so that I can make informed decisions about what I want to believe in or not believe in and yet a 133 page book seems to be a more than daunting task. And I've already read the first two chapters.

So it's time to just suck it up and do it. There is something to be learned from everything and I am going to learn something from the book "The Ten Commandments for Today." I'm reading the rest tonight so by tomorrow hopefully, I'll know at least one new thing. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment