Tuesday, March 30, 2010

So to change things up a bit, this week I had my trusty number picker (a.k.a. my roommate) pick three letters so that I could get a fiction book. Since the dewey system only covers nonfiction, I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of fiction books I could find.

Drum roll please......

The book is Sims by F. Paul Wilson.

My first impression is that of the computer game. I was never a huge Sims fanatic because I didn't really like having to control them. But i was a huge fan of building extra sweet houses and awesome looking people. I always created the characters from the books I was writing because I'm a huge nerd like that. I'd do the cheat to get oodles of money, move them into my wicked sweet house, then get bored a little while later. One of my old roommates used to sit on the couch for weekends at a time playing. It seemed to keep her entertained but she was a rather sedentary being.

There's a big, red DNA strand on the front so I was kind of excited thinking that it was going to be about a pandemic or some sort of genetic abnormality like zombieism. On the second or third glance I noticed something looking out from behind the 'bars' of DNA. It's actually rather creepy because she or he either has black hands or is wearing black gloves. A very ominous sign.

It turns out it's about someone tampering with the few hundred genes that separate chimps from humans so they have bigger noggins, less hair, and can speak. It's set 'in the very near future' when genetically transmitted diseases are being fixed and humans are becoming too good to do manual labor so they pass it on to 'sims'. Sims, short for simians, are the genetically altered chimps that are kind of chimp and kind of human.

SimGen is the company that owns the chimp genome and is unleashing the creatures upon the world. But there is something sinister about SimGen. Cue thoughts of Resident Evil... Now

The good guy is Patrick Sullivan, a lawyer who wants to unionize the sims. I'm not one to give away the endings of stories so I can't tell you what happens. You'll have to find that out on your own. But it's exciting, I can tell you that.

The back cover does leave one daunting thought that I thought I should share. Ahem.
'Right now, as you read these words, some company somewhere in the world is toying with the chimp genome. That is not fiction, it is fact. Sims is a science fiction thriller that will come true. One way or another.'
Talk about creep.

It's not the kind of book I usually read but it actually wasn't too bad. If you like monkeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment