Thursday, March 11, 2010

876

There wasn't actually an 876 so I ended up with 877. The 800's are literature, which made me a little excited. Maybe an actual fiction novel this time!

I did get what I'm suspecting is a novel of some sort. But. It's old. Waaaaay old. The first due date shown on the card is November 6, 1931. "The Satires of Juvenal"

It's a cool looking book, because it's so old. There are stains on the weathered black leather cover. The pages have passed the yellowing stage and moved onto being almost somewhat brown in spots. The corners of the hardcover have worn off their covering and bent inwards. It looks like it's been around and well loved. Which makes sense because it's been in the Peter White for almost 80 years.

My first impressions flipping through are that it's going to be a tough read.Decimus Junius Juvenalis was born 'about the year on Christ 38.' In my experience, texts this old can be the hardest to get through. I was in the honors program when I came to school (not enjoyable at all) and one of the first classes we had to take for that was The Origins of Western Values in Antiquity. If that sounds gross, that's because it was. We started at the very first known of written work and moved our way toward the middle ages making sure to stop at the ENTIRE Illiad in 6 days, Plato, and friends. I thought my brain was going to explode at times reading those so I have a feeling there isn't going to be much difference with this.

I'm trying to google more about him but I'm currently enjoying internet problems so that will have to be another post. Until then, I shall immerse myself in history. Ugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment